A Brief History of New Middleton Lodge # 249 F.&A.M. The New Middleton Masonic Lodge is the oldest historical landmark left in the New Middleton community. The present Lodge Hall building has stood for over sixty years on what used to be part of the New Middleton School campus. A little to the right of the steps was the home plate used by the boys' baseball team.
The New Middleton Masonic Lodge #249 was chartered October 10, 1856 , with Nathan Ward, Worshipful Master, Elijah A. Wright, Senior Warden, and John A. Moores Junior Warden. The first Masonic Lodge Hall was on the second floor of the New Middleton Academy which was built sometime between 1856 and 1859. It is believed that members did not meet on a regular basis during the years between 1862-1865 while the War Between the States was going on.
The New Middleton Academy which housed the Lodge Hall was engulfed in flames on September 8, 1919. The school was immediately built back with the Lodge Hall again occupying the second floor. The explosion of a kerosene lamp on the second floor in 1924 caused this building to become a pile of ashes. After this disaster, a school building was erected on the hill, and the present Masonic Lodge Hall was built.